Monday, February 4, 2008

As if I weren't already grumpy enough in the morning...

About a week ago (I know...I am late posting...), as I was rushing into the subway I spilled half a cup of coffee on my gloves and pants. NOT-TO-WORRY, as I was listening to Madonna 'What it Feels Like for A Girl' and therefore little could have interrupted my moment. Just for fun--lets review a Madonna quote. In response to being called a 'bitch' she once said:

"I'm tough, ambitious and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay."

Oh the glory of Madge! --anyway, back to the post...

So, there I am--blissful with my bagel, a half a cup of coffee, and now listening to 'Hung Up' when I glance over to the lady next to me who is reading the New York Post and all of a sudden --

SHOCK. HORROR. APPALL. The New York Post has a headline that reads:

"EVIL LESBIAN MOM LEFT TODDLER TO DIE A SLOW DEATH."

As I have mentioned in prior posts, I believe subtle signs speak volumes. If the mother had been straight, would the newspaper headline have read: 'EVIL STRAIGHT MOM LEFT TODDLER TO DIE A SLOW DEATH.' Hmm--something tells me NO.

I know that GLAAD and other LGBT organizations raised awareness about the headline and I am of course grateful for their vigilance and responsiveness. Yet, GOOD GRIEF NEW YORK POST--what in the world were you thinking?!...or NOT thinking... How many eyes proofread that headline and did not see what inevitably many LGBT readers did--a BLATANT association between EVIL and LESBIAN.

Its unfortunate to think about the amount of LGBT youth who face not only outright hostility but also subtle insinuations about what being LGBT means for other aspects of a personality. We must be more vigilant. While we can carefully plan rallies and major events, being just as meticulous in every day conversation is supremely important. It may be an obvious point but one well worth stating--the subtle messages that society sends are particularly insidious for youth who, instead of creating themselves, are instead being told what they should be...sometimes those insinuations discourage and delay many from self-actualizing. I really could write volumes on this...but I have a cold, am aching to go watch LOST on my laptop, and Evis is playing way too much Celine Dion to entice me to stick around :)

Happy Super Tuesday. Exercise the right.

No comments: