Monday, February 11, 2008

Competitiveness in men and women

This article in the NY Times Freaconomics blog talks about a study done to observe competitiveness in men and women in patriarchal and matriarchal societies.

The questions raised in the study made me think about my own experience. I went to an all girls high school and I felt like I owned the place, literally. Nothing seemed impossible or difficult and never did I feel intimidated or as if I could not make it. In college, I was at a co-ed institution and I did not always have the feeling I described above. I often felt a little intimidated because of the cultural differences,I thought. A part of me, always knew that I just did not want to lose with embarrassing results, in public.
The cultural barrier worked though. I was after all in a different country.
I love my alma matter and I would have never changed my experience there, but I always wonder how would have things been had I gone to Wellesley for example. I wonder how the Wellesley me would have been.

No comments: