Thursday, February 21, 2008

Boys Will Be Boys, Girls Will Be Hounded by the Media -NY Times

This article in the NY Times talks about the different portrayal/degree of coverage of troubled male and female celebrities in the media, particularly tabloids.
According to the article (and we all can probably testify to it) female celebrities get more bombastic, dramatic coverage than their male counterparts do.
An interesting point, I find, is the fact that about 70% of the tabloids' readership are women and stories of troubled female celebrities seem to be more appealing to them than the stories of the male celebrities.
Now, I wonder why this is. Is it because women having been historically the obedient, less rebel members of society find it fascinating to see other women break out of the social norm and rebel? Any thoughts?

1 comment:

EiBo said...

I don't think I've ever bought a tabloid -- at least I haven't bought up for any reason other than to cut it up for a school project -- but i can definitely believe that women enjoy reading about celebrity women instead of men. If I am hardly interested in the likes of Britney or Paris or her dufus friend, I am negatively interested in filling up brain space about Man X. BUT, I think this is just a continuing illness that women themselves encourage. COMPETITION. We cannot go without comparing ourselves to other women at least a few times a day. I guess it might be easier for us, easier to dismiss the yawning gaps among us female-kind, if we compare ourselves to those females far far far away. Celebrities. Either way, I don't think its healthy to compare ourselves to other women, how can we stop doing this? Are we addicted?