Monday, January 7, 2008

Outsourced Wombs

http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/03/outsourced-wombs/index.html?ref=opinion

I mean, I knew this was going, but Jesus. The fact that this is a $445 million/yr "industry" is sickening.

Surrogacy for me is very tricky. You're using your body as a tool to generate income for yourself. Is that bad? Is it inherently different from what construction workers do with their hands, or politicians do with their mouths (figuratively OF COURSE, heh), or sex workers do with their bodies? Is it that simple? Obviously not. But the parallel is there. Is the idea of taking money to allow a fetus to grow inside of you repulsive to most people because they have swallowed the "Motherhood is next to Godliness" mantra? Arrghh! It gets all twisted in my mind.

All I know is that I cringe when I see the pictures of them lined up like parts of a baby-making machine and that screams patriarchy to me.

No comments: