Monday, January 28, 2008

Liberia

I read this interview with one of the top government people in Liberia (where they have their first woman president) and one of the quesitons to this offical was like this: "What advice would you give young girls thinking about going into politics?" The female official's response was "Go into politics like a man."

Now, on some level I think I can understand what this woman is saying. I mean, men have dominated politics for so long that whatever they do has obviously worked for them so women should try to imitate men and they might be just as successful.

But the interpretation that I just gave is what I think is exactly wrong with our fellow so-called feminists. Sometimes its our gender that bring us down or promote the stereotypes of weak, emotional women.

What she should have said was something like, be ready to fight, be ready to get hurt and be ready to hurt, keep personal things out of the discussion, don´t let any emotion get the best of you, fight for what you believe it. Women should not have to feign "manhood" to be successful in politics and please, for once, lets not hear another of our own gender suggest that.

1 comment:

Aartie said...

Evis and I read this post yesterday night while sitting on the couch and we both just said: "I AGREE" in unison.

Just thought you should know.